The International Rescue Committee (IRC) Latest Job Vacancy
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior ME Manager
Requisition ID: req8741
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The conflict in North East Nigeria has displaced over 1.9 million people and shattered livelihoods of many more. Since 2012 IRC has been delivering support to communities affected; across Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, with field offices in Maiduguri, Monguno, Gwoza, Damaturu, Yola and Mubi and a country office in Abuja.
With over 700 staff, we deliver humanitarian support and longer term recovery programming in health, nutrition, WASH, education, protection, economic recovery and livelihoods. We work in coordination with State government Ministries, WHO, UNICEF, UNHCR, UN OCHA and other development organizations. IRC is an active participant in coordination mechanisms to contribute to improved impact. The International Rescue Committee (IRC) supports communities in transition to help people whose lives and livelihoods are destroyed by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future.
We work across five outcome areas; economic well-being, education, health, power and safety, with outcomes maintaining strong gender, governance and conflict sensitive components. We currently deliver high-impact and cost-effective solutions in nearly 40 countries.
- The DFID Health Resilience project will be implemented in Borno and Yobe states, and will support delivery of quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health services and improve evidence based decision making, accountability at all levels of service delivery
- It’s a consortium partnership project involving the IRC, ACF and Society of Family Health
- The Project team will work with and alongside state and local government authorities building national capacity to effectively deliver quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, and newborn and child health and nutrition services.
Job Overview / Summary
- The Senior M&E Manager will report to both the Consortium Technical Lead and the M&E Coordinator
- She/he will be responsible for client responsiveness and M&E systems development and implementation for the IRC-led HeRoN Consortium, ensuring consistent use of M&E approaches, data management, client responsiveness, data quality and facilitates learning across teams and consortium partners
- The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring overall coherence of monitoring and reporting tools; and coordination of data compilation from different consortium members
- He/she will have a strong working relationship with the IRC M&E team as well as the consortium team for additional technical support
- The role requires extensive M&E and client responsiveness experience and good understanding of organizational M&E approaches, and understanding of working in a consortium led project
- The post holder will be expected to provide technical support in data gathering, aggregation, M&E tool development, support electronic data platforms, databases and select technologies to capture and organize data in a usable format
- He/she will work collaboratively with consortium teams, M&E/Consortium coordinators in partner organizations and support M&E officers at the field level
- He/she will be expected to communicate courteously on consortium performance and maintain positive relationships with program and support teams.
Consortium M&E Design and Learning (30%):
- Support development, review and implementation of HeRoN project M&E systems, SOPs, guidance and measurement tools in line with the IRC MfA framework.
- Ensure that detailed and feasible consortium monitoring plans are developed that: i) provide an indicator matrix, ii) consider ethical and safe collection and storage of data, iii) consider data quality audits, vi) consider storing, protecting and sharing project documents;
- Closely work with M&E coordinator, Technical Lead and Consortium partners to ensure that all partners have tested standard monitoring tools that capture both activity and indicator progress overtime.
- Ensure development and localization of Client Responsiveness Mechanism across partners.
- Develop tools that aid documenting, storing and sharing lessons learned that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice;
- In consultation with the M&E coordinator and Consortium Technical Lead, organize lesson sharing events to fertilize learning across different partners.
- Serve as a consortium focal person on information management, lead and design diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys for the consortium.
- Develop/implement innovative ideas as regard to client feedback mechanism and ensure effective use of existing feedback mechanisms (FGD, hotline facilitation, suggestion boxes, exit interviews, IEC materials, radio jingles)
Monitoring and evaluation (30%):
- Ensure that the IRC- led consortium has a robust monitoring plan in place, developing monitoring and evaluation guidelines, frameworks and indicators for the projects action plan in close collaboration with the M&E Coordinator/Team Leader.
- Lead and assist the partner M&E staff in conducting reflective practice forums at field office/ partner level and compile lessons from partner implementation processes.
- Update and provide data and information to M&E coordinator and Team Leader on consortium project performance indicators.
- Conduct data quality audits of partner data to identify and resolve systemic problems affecting data quality; and document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access.
- Work with partners and support staff to determine which monitoring activities will take place and which data collection methods will be used to ensure their adequacy and appropriateness;
- Support consortium Managers and M&E staff with the planning and implementation of baseline surveys, Health Facility Assessments, needs assessments, mid-term and end of project reviews/evaluations including preparation of Terms of References.
- Work with partners staff to ensure that the consortium work plans include monitoring activities (or that a stand-alone monitoring work plan is in place), is up-to date and progress tracked.
- Design survey data collection tools and methodologies ensure it captures protection mainstreaming issues, Washington disability questions and IRC client responsiveness.
- Conduct field monitoring visits and document learnings and share lessons
- Work with partners staff to ensure that data is collected and entered into databases and/or tracking sheets, and/or the data platform on a regular basis.
- Work with partner M&E staff to track progress on action points related to implementation and M&E activities.
- Facilitate planned surveys and proper engagement of external consultants (where necessary)
- Supports data quality audits and resolves systemic problems in data quality
- Plan and facilitate joint partners monitoring visit.
Information Management and Reporting (30%):
- Provide M&E inputs for regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring concerned staff attention;
- Extract lessons learned from projects, systematically document stories of change across partners and make easily accessible;
- Support partners M&E Officers to ensure that data is collected and entered into databases and/or tracking sheets, and/or the data platform on a regular basis;
- Organize and facilitate meeting with consortium members on M&E progress, challenges and way forward;
- Coordinate data management, and ensure data is managed according to IRC protocols and best practice.
Staff Capacity Building (10%):
- Train partners staff on data analysis procedures, quantitative and/or qualitative data (support on; Cleaning, sorting, categorizing and organizing data)
- Provide consistent, supportive supervision to strengthen partner staff performance as necessary to meet monitoring objectives.
- In coordination with the consortium members, enhance primary stakeholder ownership of program via community participation and consultation and use of participatory approaches.
- Directly reports to the Consortium Technical Lead and M&E Coordinator, but will have close working relations with: Consortium Partners, Roving M&E Manager, Grant Coordinator and Sector leads
- Master’s Degree in Statistics, Social Science, Public Health, Development Economics, or related discipline
- First Degree with demonstrated experience of 5-10 years in M&E is accepted.
- Excellent database, data management and data analysis skills, with experience using at least 2 software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Access, SPSS, STATA;
- Experience with electronic/mobile data collection (Kobo Collect, Survey CTO, CommCare) and GIS mapping;
- Proven technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, including experience with multi-sectorial and multi-donor funded programs and experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis;
- Proven abilities to develop monitoring plans, data collection, information management, use of databases, and analysis and performance monitoring;
- Strong analytical, quantitative and qualitative research skills and M&E skills
- Problem-solving, decision-making, leadership and good judgment skills.
- Ability to take initiative and independently respond to situations.
- Experience in consortium M&E work will be an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively with managers, colleagues, partners, and clients.
- Strong commitment to IRC’s mission, purpose and values.