United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Recruitment -Apply Now
we are plesaed to inform you about United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Recruitment -Apply Now
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse – Temporary Appointment
Job ID: 29848
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – Emergency Response
Vacancy Type: TA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 06 months
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic and its significant spread in Nigeria has brought about this urgent need for nurses to work with the Dispensary Physician to work at the Isolation facility which has been operative for some days now.
- Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: These temporary positions are located at headquarters (OHRM), the Regional Commissions and field medical facilities, including those UN Clinics administered by UNDP. Depending on their location, they report to the Head Nurse, UN Health Manager if applicable.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Nurse at this level will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers.
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate, documents case findings.
- Assist to the medical officer on the management, organization and coordination of the fever clinic, including isolation ward, etc at the duty station.
- Assist the medical officer in the follow up and tracking of the positive cases and close contacts
- Performs point of care diagnostic and screening tests.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic; provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs; participates in work environment assessment with special emphasis to the prophylaxis of the relevant diseases of the outbreak,
- Assists Head Nurse in all her/his activities as required.
- In the UN Clinics administered by UNDP and Regional commission acts as Head Nurse.
- Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized.
- Ensures proper filing of medical and other records.
- Evaluates, orders and maintains an efficient inventory and stock control of medications/vaccines and other medical supplies and equipment.
- Assumes all supervisory and medico-administrative duties of the Head Nurse in her absence.
- In the case of the Regional Commissions and the UN Clinics administered by UNDP, acts as Head Nurse and supervises the work of other nurses.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Staff across the Organization
- Personnel in office of Staff Counsellor
- Security officers
- Physicians and nurses outside the UN
- Representatives of pharmaceutical/medical supply companies.
- Delegates and NGO Representatives
- Insurance Providers
- Assists in the implementation of preventive and medical actions and responses related to disease outbreak crisis.
- Provides quality nursing services that contribute to good physical and mental health of the staff of the Organisation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Registered Professional Nurse with a High School Diploma and who is a graduate of either an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing programme or an accredited Diploma programme (3 years).
- National registration and license are required.
- Seven (07) years of experience in nursing or related area. UN field experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in the care of the mechanically ventilated patient, including the set up and maintenance of circuits and ventilator machines.
- Previous experience in humanitarian crisis and infectious diseases is highly desirable.
- Certification as Intensive Care Nurse or a minimum of 1 years’ experience as an Intensive Care Nurse in the past 5 years.
- Proven experience in barrier nursing and use of PPE.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
- Knowledge of clinical, occupational and travel nursing. Formal training in CPR and, preferably, in BCLS and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care.
- Knowledge of major medical office equipment and ability to use them in emergency situations.
- Knowledge of use of ventilator machine and management of critical patient in respiratory distress.
- Knowledge of point of care testing. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 5th April, 2020.