Welcome to GBest Portal. We are pleased to inform you about Equal Education Current Employment Opportunity – Apply Now!- read Full Application details below.
Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. Equal Education works by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and addresses these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights; be committed to strengthening the education system in South Africa and to investing time and energy to address the inequality that affects so many of our youth.
Job Title: Head of Internal Education and Training Unit
Location: Khayelitsha, Western Cape
Reports to: Deputy General Secretary
Salary range:R234,000 – R318,000
Closing date:5 August 2020
About the position
The Internal Education and Training Unit (IETU) is responsible for building consciousness amongst EE’s members and staff, intensifying mobilisation of members and being a central hub for the educational needs of the movement. The unit is mandated with creating content that empowers young people to critically read the world by drawing from their lived experience, current affairs, liberation movements, history, literature, and education policy. Emphasis is placed on centring Africa, youth, and women in the source materials. The Head of IETU works collaboratively with peers in Research, Organising, and Communications to build narratives and produce materials which support EE’s advocacy and activism.
- Provide direction on content development for EE’s varied needs within the political orientation, and values of the movement;
- Plan, coordinate and evaluate activities, projects, and informal educational programmes;
- Supervise a team of two material developers and a curriculum developer;
- Identify opportunities to publish readers or training materials, internally and externally;
- Coordinate and facilitate workshops and residential camps for the training of EE members;
- Write and edit new publications and training materials;
- Ensure that research outputs are translated into popular materials for members and the public; and
- Contribute to reviving a learning culture amongst staff through designing seminars/workshops and sharing relevant resources.
The Head of IETU needs to be curious and well-informed as well as creative and innovative in developing training and popular education programmes for staff and members.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Undergraduate degree in Politics, Philosophy, Community Development or equivalent. Post graduate degree advantageous;
- 3 years experience in the same/similar role
- Experience working with youth or in communities using popular education methodology;
- Some understanding of emancipatory theories and ideas;
- Understanding of politics, law, government policy, and civil society will be advantageous;
- Experience in building strong networks and collaboration;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and mentor young people;
- Very strong research, writing and editing experience;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills;
- Additional South African language skills are highly valued;
- Familiarity with using digital media to engage with and influence narrative building;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license would be beneficial;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; and
- Must be able to work efficiently and independently, and to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in pdf format with the name surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf
- You must indicate clearly in your cover letter and email subject line, which position you are applying for.
- You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
- Please include a minimum of two contactable references.
Applications must be sent to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 5 August, 2020
for more details click here